Sunday, August 28, 2016

I bricked my Moto X 2013 VZW Dev Edition - any chance of revival?

I'll start out by saying I was careless and had not read various threads before flashing things and causing my issues. I've already bought a replacement phone but I'd like to see if there's any chance to revive the Moto X or not.

What happened:
  • I had unlocked the bootloader years ago. I was running the (mostly) stock Lollipop 5.1 with XPosed, and got noticed of a security update.
  • After fully charging the battery, I flashed stock recovery over my custom recovery (TWRP) and then, without thinking, got the latest image from Motorola without realizing it was a 4.4.4 image.
  • I flashed the system partition using this image thinking it would remove SU and that I could install the update - this soft-bricked the phone when I tried to boot.
  • Too late, but at this point I re-flashed TWRP and ran a backup. I used adb to extract the backup and my other files from the /sdcard partition.
  • Factory Reset. The phone boot up at this point.
  • I tried flashing the logo, gpt.bin (I forgot that Lollipop changed how partitioning worked) and then did another Factory Reset. Phone boots fine.
  • I then tried restoring the data from my nandroid backup. Rebooted once, and phone seemed to start. And then it went black.

At this point, the phone does not appear to boot at all. I can't use Vol Down + Power to boot into Fastboot, and if I connect to a computer, it does not see the device... USUALLY.

If I connect via USB to my Windows computer, and try to boot into Fastboot, the green LED behind the volume will flash once and my computer will signal the "Hardware connected" sound. I can try to run 'adb reboot bootloader' but adb reports that it doesn't see any devices. My system events note a USB Input Device was added but don't get any further. Within 5 seconds, the "hardware disconnected" sound fires. About 20 seconds later, this will repeat on its own.

I just tried making a fastboot cable from a spare micro usb cable... I may have done it wrong - but it does not seem to have had any effect. The result is the same. It's possible I didn't solder the connection well, though (it was difficult exposing the terminals on my particular cable).

The screen is always black and never lights up in any way.

It kind of makes me think that the device is attempting to boot, fails, and cycles. Is there anything I can do?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2btsv64
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment