Saturday, May 28, 2016

use an old android phone as emergency 3G modem...

hi,
i'd like to turn an old spare phone (android 2.3 gingerbread) with cracked glass into an emergency 3g modem.

do you know if there's a way to activate and deactivate wifi tethering via command line?

if so, i could leave the phone always on and connected to the main wifi network... then write a simple script that:
- pings my dsl public ip every x seconds
- if the ping fails, turns wifi tethering on
- sends an email to warn myself about the dsl drop and remember me to connect the router to a wifi-access point insted of the dsl modem
- checks if the dsl come back (still pinging my public ip)
- when it does, turns tethering off and sends another email to remind me to connect the router to the dsl modem again

what do you think about? possible..?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/22s8wH2
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment